Stainless steel appliances are highly desired because of the longevity of their beauty. However, it is important to take proper care when cleaning these appliances, to preserve this beauty. This material is tough and can withstand a lot of abuse, but using the wrong tools or cleaner will make your appliance dull, scratched, or rusted.
This guide will tell you all you need to know about cleaning stainless steel appliances, including tips, do’s and don’ts, and DIY methods.
What You’ll Need
For the most part, you can clean stainless steel with warm water and a microfiber cloth. However, if you need to get out tough stains, then you will need a cleaner that is non-abrasive, and chloride-free. You can also use stainless steel cleaner or an alkaline-based cleaner, which is best for getting out grease and oil. If you don’t have any stainless steel cleaner, you can substitute it with vinegar, baking soda with dish soap, olive oil, or flour.
What You Need To Be Wary Of
When you are cleaning stainless steel, you need to take caution when using home remedies. Make sure to read the directions on any cleaner that you use, and always thoroughly rinse your appliance after cleaning it. You should also be aware of the fact that stainless steel easily attracts dirt, smudges, and fingerprints. Therefore, wiping with a soft cloth regularly will help eliminate the need for using any chemicals to clean the appliance.
Be careful when using white vinegar to clean your appliances. Even though it is not hazardous, do not soak your appliances in vinegar because it could corrode your appliance. Always make sure to wipe thoroughly after spraying vinegar on your appliances.
*Note– After cleaning any stainless steel appliance, make sure to thoroughly dry it to prevent white spots from accumulating. If you have a stubborn stain avoid heavy scrubbing, instead wipe what you can and let the cleaner soak on the stain briefly.
What Not To Do When Cleaning Stainless Steel
Although stainless steel can be easy to maintain and clean, there are certain things that you should avoid when cleaning these appliances.
Here are things you shouldn’t do when cleaning stainless steel:
- Never use steel wool or harsh sponges to wipe down stainless steel this can cause the appliance to rust. Always use a soft cloth preferably a microfiber crust.
- Avoid harsh cleaners and cleaners that contain chloride. Therefore avoid bleach, and disinfectants because this will weaken the protective layer of the appliance which can cause rusting.
- Never reuse an empty cleaner bottle if you are making a homemade cleaner with vinegar. Always use a new bottle for your homemade vinegar spray.
DIY Stainless Steel Cleaning
Commercial stainless steel cleaners can be expensive. However, there are some homemade DIY methods that you can use and that is said to be safe for stainless steel appliances.
The most popular DIY cleaner for this material is a vinegar solution. In this section, you will find recipes for the vinegar solution and other DIY methods.
With the vinegar method, there are several ways that you can do this. Here you will find the vinegar and olive oil method.
- Fill a clean spray bottle with white distilled vinegar.
- Spray your appliances that you are cleaning.
- Use a microfiber cloth to wipe the appliance.
- Use a second microfiber cloth, dip it into olive oil, and wipe your appliance in direction of the grain.
Baking Soda Paste
If you have tough stains or grease marks that you are trying to remove, you can make a paste with baking soda and warm water. You just need to wipe the appliance with the paste using a soft sponge or a microfiber cloth then use a separate wet cloth to clean it. Once you clean it with a wet cloth, use a dry soft cloth to towel dry the appliance.
Dish Detergent Solution
- Use mild dish detergent to clean the appliance.
- Dab a second microfiber cloth in baby oil and wipe in direction of the grain.
*Note: When you use olive oil or baby oil to wipe your appliance after cleaning it, this will add shine to your stainless steel.
The Final Say
Remember stainless steel is just like any other appliance, if you want it to last you need to take care of it. If you use the tips and methods that you learned in this guide, you will have beautiful appliances that will last a long time.